The Fender Andy Summers Tribute Telecaster is a note-perfect replica of the 1961 Tele that Summers used to help propel the Police to untold heights of worldwide pop superstardom.
The Fender Andy Summers Tribute Telecaster features the same "eccentric" modifications that the original had when Summers first bought it, most of which were unchanged throughout the nonstop work and excitement of the Police years:
- Ferocious humbucking neck pickup.
- Bridge pickup mounted in the body rather than in the broken brass (not chrome) bridge plate.
- Control plate-mounted mini-toggle phase switch.
- Body-mounted preamp on/off mini-toggle switch (the original preamp "died," Galuszka said; the Custom Shop has recreated the Police-era preamp).
- Rear-mounted overdrive unit controlled by a third knob below the two traditional Telecaster volume and tone controls.
- "Soft" brass bridge pieces.
- Schaller tuners.
Andy Summers was just out of college in Southern California in the early 1970s when one of his guitar students offered to sell him a beat-up 1961 Fender Telecaster that had obviously been modified by a previous owner.
Summers bought the guitar for $200, and you and the whole world know the rest. Back in London a few years later, he joined a noisy so-called punk outfit called the Police that rose to become the biggest band in the world, thanks in no small part to the deftly innovative and influential sounds Summers conjured from that beat-up Telecaster.
Summers played number one of the 250 replicas when the Police once again electrified the music world by reuniting to open the 49th annual Grammy Awards ceremony in Los Angeles. Even more exciting, Summers will play the replica during the momentous 2007 30th anniversary worldwide Police reunion tour, one of the most hoped-for and eagerly awaited events in pop music history. It promises to be a thrilling musical event featuring one of rock's most innovative guitarists playing a spot-on replica of one rock's most distinctive guitars.
Fender Andy Summers Tribute Telecaster main features include:
- Body: 2-Piece Select Alder
- Neck: Quarter-Sawn Maple, “C” Shape, (Tinted Nitrocellulose Lacquer Finish)
- Fingerboard: Quarter-Sawn Maple, 7.25” Radius (184mm)
- No. of Frets: 21 Vintage Frets
- Pickups: 1 Custom ‘63 Tele Single-Coil Pickup (Bridge), 1 Seymour Duncan SH-1N ‘59 Humbucking Pickup (Neck)
- Controls: Master Volume, Master Tone, Preamp Gain
- Pickup Switching: 3-Position Blade with 2-Position Mini-Toggle Phase Switch: Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups
Position 3. Neck Pickup
- 2-Position Mini-Toggle Preamp On/Off Switch
- Bridge: Strings-Thru-Body 6-Saddle Brass Bridge with Crack in the Pickup Mounting Hole
- Machine Heads: Fender/Gotoh Vintage Style Tuning Machines
- Hardware: Nickel/Chrome
- Pickguard: 3-Ply Mint Green
- Scale Length: 25.5” (648 mm)
- Width at Nut: 1.650” (42 mm)
- White Binding on Top & Back
- Black Dot Position Inlays with Wide Dot Spacing
- “C” Shape Maple Neck
- “Top Hat” Switch Tip
- Custom Shop Limited Edition Decal
- Quarter-Sawn Maple Neck
- Quarter-Sawn Maple Fingerboard
- Cracked 6-Saddle Brass Bridge Plate
- Brass Bridge Saddles
- Rectangular Jack Plate
- Control Plate Mounted Mini-Toggle Phase Reversal Switch
- Rear-Mounted Preamp “Overdrive” Unit
- Body Mounted Preamp On/Off Switch
- Body Mounted Preamp Gain Control Knob
- Exact reproduction of the guitar Andy used throughout his career. Shows natural wear and tear of years of heavy use, nicks, scratches, worn finish rusty hardware and aged plastic parts.
- Strings: Fender Super 250R, Nickel Plated Steel, Gauges: (.010, .013, .017, .026, .036, .046)
- Accessories: Deluxe Brown Hardshell Case (Orange Interior), Strap, Cable, Limited Edition Certificate, Signed Copy of Andy’s Book “One Train Later”, DVD Interview with Andy, “Message In A Box” CD Box Set