The 664 Field Production Mixer from Sound Devices is the flagship line of the portable audio mixers. It has 12 analogue inputs, four output buses and records to CF and SD cards. This amount of I/O connectivity and recording capability makes the 664 perfect for a huge range of production applications.
The 664 has 6 ultra-noise, high-dynamic-range mic/line inputs. These preamps are transformer-less and offer analogue peak limiters, high-pass filters, direct outputs and input trim controls. Input connectors 1 and 6 can be selected to accept AES42 or AES3 digital signals. Inputs 7 through 12 are available by reassigning direct outputs as inputs from the Input Setup Menu. 16 tracks of recording can be saved to CompactFlash and SD cards as 16 or 24-bit broadcast WAV files. Scene, take, track, notes, and time code metadata are recorded with the file.
Important controls can all be found on dedicated knobs and switches while other features can be accessed through the sunlight-readable LCD screen. The mixer’s built-in, rock-steady ambient time code generator means multiple devices can operate in synchronization.
The main features of the 664 Field Production Mixer include:
- 12 analogue inputs
- 6 direct outputs
- Four output buses, Left, Right and Aux 1, Aux 2; transformer-balanced for freedom from ground loops;
- Multiple output connectors, including dual multi-pin
- Broadcast WAV recording to dual memory card slots, CF and SD
- Record different track combinations and to each card type
- High-precision, Ambient Recording-based time code generator/reader with auto-recharging of internal
- TC battery
- Time code compare tool to measure offset from internal and external time code
- Quick, intuitive interface via sunlight readable, transflective LCD menu control
- Main controls on dedicated knobs and switches
- Two AES42/AES3 digital inputs (input connectors 1 and 6)
- AES3 output selection, up to eight channels of AES out (XLR, multi-pin)
- Expanded return monitoring capabilities, with three camera returns
- Dedicated communication circuit (PL)
- Built-in slate microphone and external slate microphone input connector
- Powered by AA-battery x5 or isolated (floating) external DC, 10-18V
- Metalized, gasketed carbon-fiber chassis panels for light weight and durability