Steinberg HALion 5 (EDU) is a VST sampler, providing an enviable amount of sounds, effects and instruments for composition and sound design. The educational version of the software is for teachers or students studying music, and proof of this fact will be required to take advantage of this specially priced software.
Steinberg HALion 5 picks up from where the previous version left off, with new sound sources thanks to the two new sound engines – the granular synthesis engine and the tone-wheel organ simulation – offering a greater selection of preset sounds which have a selection of instruments, sounds and effects already set up and can be fully customised if the preset sound isn’t quite to your taste.
There are eight new instruments with over 1000 new sounds, including new synths, acoustic instruments and a collection of new drum rhythms. The nine new effects include VST Amp for guitar, featuring a new Wah Wah effect. There are also new Auto Filter, Tape Saturator and Ring Modulator effects plus many more.
Two new MIDI modules improve the ability to play and compose with MIDI. The MIDI Player can be used to edit and trigger up to eight MIDI files at once, while the new Drum Player is ideal for programming drum beats and rhythm tracks with its incorporated step sequencer.
HALion 5 sees the inclusion of a new Slicing Mode, allowing users to slice and reconfigure audio using high-quality algorithms that maintain the quality of the audio, and the previously-included FlexPhraser has seen a revision to now feature a new user mode for creating your own patterns and phrases.
The main features of Steinberg HALion 5 (EDU) include:
- Two new sound engines – Granular Synthesis & Tone-Wheel Organ Simulation
- Eight new instruments with over 1000 sounds, including new synths, acoustic instruments and new drum rhythms
- Nine new effects, including VST Amp for guitar, Wah Wah, Auto Filter, Tape Saturator, Ring Modulator, Step Flanger, Vintage Ensemble, Envelope Shaper and Octaver
- Two new MIDI modules – MIDI Player and Drum Player, which features a step sequencer
- New Slicing Mode for slicing and editing audio
- Revised FlexPhraser with new user mode