The Avalon U5 high-voltage DI- preamp combines a unique passive tone selector
with a variable gain preamp and filter. The high input impedance accepts a wide variety
of signal levels and instruments from acoustic guitars to high-output active bass guitars
and keyboards. The U5 direct box is loaded with sonic character and user features professionals
The Avalon U5 Pure Class A instrument DI & preamplifier is the most powerful direct
box available today. Designed to optimize absolute signal integrity and musical performance,
the U5 includes many features and sonic excellence unequaled by lesser designs. The U5 is
ideal for bass guitar and acoustic instruments, electric guitars, keyboards, synthesizers
and low output pickups.
U5 features include state-of-the-art, high input impedance input stage for zero
load effect on sensitive pickups and keyboards, 100% discrete, Pure Class A signal
amplifiers, practical user features and rugged hardware designed to deliver true
high performance audio for many years.
DESIGNED FOR DEEP & CONTROLLED BASS
Avalon U5 DI- preamps have been in use around the world since 1995. They have found
their way into the world's leading musicians rigs and recording sessions and been featured
on thousands of the best selling (and sounding) albums and live performances.
MINIMUM SIGNAL PATH DESIGN
The U5 includes a variable gain Class A preamplifier to boost low level pickup signals
and a high level speaker input for capturing the live sound of the instruments amplifier.
Six passive tone-EQ curves are also included to enhance a variety of acoustic and electric
instruments. A high-cut switch eliminates unwanted acoustic pickup and high frequency noise,
while a headphone monitor amp has been included for personal listening. Twin DC coupled
Class A output amplifiers drive both low level microphone preamp inputs and high level +
4dB inputs for direct to tape recording or processing. The active-to- thru switch selects
either the instrument input directly or sends the boosted-equalized signal to the amplifier
via the front panel jack. A ground isolation switch eliminates any possible earth loop or
AC buzz problems with complete safety.
U5 features include
- Pure Class A, 100% discrete design
- Smooth musical detail and sonic excellence
- Variable gain preamp to +30dB.
- Dual microphone and line outputs
- Hi-Z 3,000,000 ohm input impedance
- Very low noise -100dB
- High headroom + 30dB
- Six tone bank selections.
- DC coupled Class A output for superior bass
- High cut switch eliminates noise
- LED active signal indicator
- Headphone monitor output jack
- Low distortion less than 0.5% THD and IMD
- High level 400 watt speaker input
- Active to thru selector - ground isolation switch
- 100% discrete power supplies for audio path
- Internal toroidal power supply for low noise
- Long lasting, stainless steel hardware