The Coles 4038 & 4071B Adaptor is a studio ribbon microphone is a British Broadcasting (BBC) design for broadcasting and recording applications. It is used where a clear smooth wide range frequency response, absence of transient distortion and relatively high sensitivity is essential.
The 4038 is a proven performer, and is in use around the world by broadcasting networks such as the BBC as well as top engineers and studios on hit recordings.
Frequency response of the 4038 is exceptionally flat from 30 to 20,000 Hz and throughout this range the shape of the bi-directional (figure of eight) polar response is maintained substantially constant both in the horizontal and vertical planes, giving a natural sonic quality with smooth frequency response.
Also included is the 4071B adaptor.
The main features of the 4038 & 4071B
- Ribbon: Low mass damped ribbon to control transient response
- Polar Response: Bi-directional
- Magnetic Fields: By use of hum neutralizing wiring and magnetic shielding of the toroidal ribbon to line transformer 30 to 40 dB reduction is achieved in response to stray disturbing magnetic fields
- Frequency Response: 30 Hz to 15,000 Hz
- Impedance: 300 ohm
- Sensitivity: -65 dB W.R.T. IV/Pa
- Distortion: Less than 1% at 125 dB SPL
- Connection: By means of 4069 3 pin jack plug. Pin 1 positive - Pin 2 negative - Pin 3 screen
- Body Housing: Made of heavy gauge perforated brass backed by finely woven Monel mesh. Rotating hinge connection allows microphone to tilt through 90° and turned in any direction when either suspended or free standing
- Dimensions: 7¼" (197 mm) x 3¼" (83 mm) x (61 mm).
- Weight: 2 lb. 6 oz. (1.08 Kg).
- Finish: Black stove enamel textured paint
- Includes: 4071B Mic to stand adapter with XLR