The Hughes and Kettner Red Box 5 Speaker Simulator is the ultimate tool for capturing the sound of guitar amps, without using microphones. The Red Box series has been around since the late 80's is a is a great solution for recording, when micing an amp just isn't practical.
The Red Box is essentially a DI box that goes between your amp head and speaker cab, and allows for a direct out to a mixing desk. This eliminates cross talk that can occur with other instruments and the need of experimenting with different mic placements. For recording it allows you to get some great sounding guitar tracks. With it you can double track a miced up speaker cabinet and Red box, or the pure Red Box signal is run through microphone and/or room emulating plug ins. This allows for the perfect mix or direct attack and ambience.
When it comes to controls, there is a ground lift switch and a pad switch to adjust input gain. There are also three sliding switches that provide some unusual but subtle sound shaping features. These can really help you get the sound of your favourite cab, or just EQ'ing for your environment.
The Red Box is can be powered by either Phantom power, a 9V battery or an optional 9V power supply. This tiny device can fit in the palm of your hand and comes with its own velvet carrying pouch.
The main features of Hughes and Kettner Red Box 5 Speaker Simulator include:
- For capturing the sound of guitar amps without having to use microphones
- For recording it allows you to get some great sounding guitar tracks
- Using live, it goes between your amp head and speaker cab and allows for a direct out to a mixing desk
- 6.3mm Input and Thru jack
- Balanced XLR Output
- Powered by either Phantom power, a 9V battery or an optional 9V power supply
- Dimensions: 115 x 40 x 60 mm
- Weight: 0.2kg