The Soundcraft GB8 32 Channel Mixing Desk. Sets new standards in professional live sound mixing on a budget.
The Soundcraft GB8 8-bus console augments the already highly successful GB4 console range. The GB4 has found many friends including the Cavern Club in Liverpool, and in use at the Bedford venue in South London. Th GB8 is available in frame sizes from 16 to 48 channels, each with four full-function stereo channels and four stereo returns, this version is the 32 Channel type.
The GB8 32/4 is designed for installations such as churches and performance venues, or for small touring sound systems. The dual-mode topology implemented to such success on the MH3 and MH4 desks allows the GB8 to be used on FOH or monitor duties, with fader control of group or aux outputs.
Additional features of the GB4 include a 1kHz oscillator and a meter bridge with three led meters that very closely emulate the ballistics of VU meters. Four mute groups allow several channels to be muted simultaneously, while another unique facility is the limiter on both the Record and Alternate stereo outputs that makes it easier to create a stereo recording of the mix. The console also features an output matrix with eleven feeds to four outputs, being fed from the group busses and main L, R and C (mono) outputs.
Although largely conventional in layout, the GB8 does have some unique mechanical features. The rugged steel chassis has a sloping rear connector panel so that it is easier to configure from the front of the desk, while the integral power supply has a link option for an external back-up PSU. Both the GB4 and GB8 desks carry the high quality hallmark with which Soundcraft is synonymous, with engineering and design, as you'd expect from this high-end manufacturer.
Careful attention has been given to the mechanical construction, to ensure reliability under strenuous conditions, with all input modules being constructed with individual vertically-mounted pcb's, fitted to the steel chassis front panel with individually-nutted potentiometers. The GB Series also shares the stylish looks of the MH4, MH3 and LX7ii consoles, continuing a strong family look and feel across the range.
The main features of the Soundcraft GB8 include:
- Sets new standards in professional live sound mixing on a budget
- 32 channel frame size
- 15 busses
- 2 full feature stereo channels
- 2 stereo returns
- 8 Aux sends (4 are pre/post switchable)
- 4 sub groups (SWAP with Auxes 1-4)
- 7x4 output matrix
- Record output with limiter
- GB30 mic preamp and precision equalisation circuitry
- Direct outputs on every channel
- Talkback facility
- 100mm faders
- Switchable 48V phantom powering on every channel
- 18dB/octave high pass filter
- 4 mute groups
- 12-segment LED metering
- Frequency Response - Mic/Line Input to any output: 20Hz - 20kHz
- THD + N - Mic sens: -30dBu, +20dBu at all outputs @1kHz
- Noise (Measured RMS, 22Hz to 22kHz Bandwidth) - Mic E.I.N. @ unity gain,150W source impedance: -128dBu. Mix Output, 40 inputs routed to mix: less than 82dBu. Group Outputs: less than -83dBu. Aux Outputs: less than -80dBu. Matrix Outputs: less than -89dBu
- Crosstalk (@1kHz, typical) - Input Channel Mute: less than -97dB. Input Fader cut-off: less than -95dB. Pan isolation: less than -75dB. Mix route isolation: less than -97dB. Group route isolation: less than -97dB. Adjacent channel crosstalk: less than -99dB. Group to Mix: less than -84dB. Aux Send pots offness (typical): less than -84dB. Matrix Send pots offness (typical): less than -84dB
- CMRR (Typical @ 1kHz): 80dB
- Input and Output Max Levels - Mono and Stereo Mic Inputs: +15dBu. Mono and Stereo Line Inputs: +30dBu. Stereo Returns and Insert Returns: +20dBu. Any output: +20dBu. Nominal Operating Level: 0dBu. Headphone Power: 2x250mW into 200 Ohms
- Input and Output Impedances - Mic Inputs: 2kOhms. Line Inputs and Stereo Returns: 10kOhms. Mix, Group, Aux, Matrix and Direct outputs: 150Ohms. Insert Sends: 75Ohms. Insert Returns: 5kOhms.
- Recommended Headphone Impedance: 100 - 600Ohms
- High Pass Filter (Mono Input): 100Hz, 18dB per octave
- EQ (Mono Input) - HF: 13kHz, +/- 15dB, 2nd order shelving. HiMid: 550Hz-13kHz, +/- 15dB, Q=1.5. Lo-Mid: 80kHz-1.9kHz, +/-15dB, Q=1.5. LF: 80Hz, +/- 15dB, 2nd order shelving
- Metering - Input Channels: Single tri-colour 4-segment LED bargraph. Outputs: 11 tri-colour 12-segment LED bargraphs, + Meterpod with 3 VU meters (L/R/C)
- Power Consumption: Ac mains supply (internal PSU) 85V-270V AC, 50/60Hz universal input. Power consumption: less than 150W